FAFSA Reminder:

All new and returning students need to fill out the FAFSA to ensure proper distribution of your financial aid.

Back to Top

Alternative Teacher Certification in Music

Teaching vocal music to young people is a rewarding career with extraordinarily unique challenges—the kind you’ll be ready to meet once you’ve earned your certification to teach vocal music at the K-12 level. 

The post-baccalaureate, certificate-only program consists of 33 credit hours and includes nine hours of residency training. Students enroll in a selection of Loyola’s undergraduate courses and receive Louisiana State Alternative Teacher Certification at the end of the program.


All Music Education Programs 

  • Complete and submit an application for admission (http://apply.loyno.edu/application/).
  • Submit two official copies of transcripts from each postsecondary institution you attended, to confirm your completion of a bachelor’s degree in music from a regionally accredited university. Your transcripts should verify an overall cumulative GPA of 2.75 for all undergraduate work and a grade of C or above for music coursework.
  • Submit official ETS score reports for ACT or SAT exams.
  • Submit official ETS score reports for the Praxis I exam and Praxis II exam in the music content area to verify passing exam scores.
  • Submit a personal statement of 300 words or less to the coordinator of music education describing your reasons for pursuing the Post-Baccalaureate Alternative Teacher Certification in Vocal Music and your professional goals on completing the program.