Loyola University has moved most of its operations online in response to COVID-19. Learn more
Back to Top

State Authorization Policies

State Authorizations

The US Department of Education requires that any institution offering distance education programs to students outside of its home state to acquire authorization from the states in which students are located.

Loyola University New Orleans is approved by Louisiana to participate in the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements. NC-SARA is a voluntary, regional approach to state oversight of postsecondary distance education. The reciprocity allows Loyola to offer its online programs in member states which include the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, and all states except California.

Currently, California does not require out-of-state non-profit accredited institutions like Loyola to register online programs without a physical presence.

Loyola Licensure-Track Programs might require additional state authorization to operate in some states. Please see the School of Nursing State Authorization List and Map for the School of Nursing State approvals.

Professional Licensure

SARA has no effect on state professional licensing or requirements. Information about state educational requirements for professional licensure or certification is found on the department webpages of those Loyola online programs that lead to professional licensure or certification.

If you are interested in a Loyola course or program potentially leading to professional licensure or certification, you will work with a Loyola admissions counselor or academic advisor to determine if the course or program meets the educational requirements of the state where you are located. Loyola makes every attempt to stay abreast of the laws in each state. Loyola will inform you in writing whether or not Loyola has been able to determine if the program actually does meet the state requirements for professional licensure or certification. Additionally, we encourage out-of-state students to contact the appropriate licensing board or agency where you are located to familiarize yourself with the state educational and other licensing requirements for the profession or occupation that you are interested in.

Student Complaints


NC-SARA Approved institution logo