The Chapel of St. Ignatius and the Gayle and Tom Benson Jesuit Center
In June, 2021, Loyola launched construction of the Chapel of St. Ignatius and the Gayle and Tom Benson Jesuit Center at the heart of our main campus. This facility will provide a place of worship and dedicated community gathering space for Student Life and Ministry activities.
We are truly grateful for the generous community gifts that have allowed us to launch this special project. The Chapel of St. Ignatius and the Gayle and Tom Benson Jesuit Center will be an important addition to the spiritual life of our campus and the City of New Orleans. We are also glad to be able to contribute to the local economy and create an architectural gem that will be a place of joy and beauty for all who visit.
- Program Manager: The Tobler Company, LLC
- Designer: Trahan Architects
- The project will be completely interior to the campus with minimal impact on the neighborhood during construction.
- Construction will primarily take place on weekdays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- The building is slated to be completed in 2022.
- Crews will use Loyola Avenue, a small, private street on Loyola’s campus for access and will be provided parking on campus.
- All utility services will stem from Loyola’s Physical Plant and existing infrastructure on campus.
View Renderings and Campus Plan
- Loyola University New Orleans Breaks Ground on New Construction
- See renderings of Loyola's $6M Benson Jesuit Center, long-delayed project due to open in 2022
- Trahan Architects’ Loyola University New Orleans chapel breaks ground
- Loyola Breaks Ground on New Chapel, Gathering Space
- Gayle and Tom Benson Jesuit Center
Sign Up for Updates
Sign up here for updates about construction progress.