Multi-colored hurricane

Faculty & Staff


OAE usess ClockWork, an online management system for students with university-approved accommodations.  With this new technology, you will be able to:

  • Quickly view Course Accommodation Records for classroom, testing, and other accommodations
  • Efficiently schedule exams and upload related document files for students who receive testing accommodations proctored in our center

To access your online account, follow the instructions below:

If you experience any technical difficulty during login, please contact the IT Help Desk directly at Extension 2255, externally at (504) 865-2255, or via email at

Important Note: As always, students are responsible for notifying instructors of their approved accommodations at the beginning of each semester OR as soon as they are fully registered with OAE. Instructors are responsible for accessing and acknowledging Course Accommodation Records online and then implementing the accommodations as outlined. All inquiries or concerns about the appropriateness of an accommodation determination should be communicated directly to our office via phone, email, or in person. 


How to View Accommodations and Print Course Accommodation Records

  1. Visit the Clockwork Instructor Portal.
  2. After reading the information found on the SAS Faculty Portal Page please click Courses.
  3. You will see a list of your courses for the semester, click on Accommodation Letters.
  4. If a student has requested their accommodation letter(s) in the selected course, a list of names will appear.
  5. Click on the student's name to view their accommodation letter.
  6. After reviewing the information, you should acknowledge the accommodation letter so that students will be notified.
    We recommend that faculty talk with the student to determine how accommodations will be implemented.

Important Notes:

  • You must "View" and "Acknowledge" a student's accommodations through ClockWork in order for the student to be able to sign-up for a test in the ODS Testing Center through their ClockWork Student Portal.
  • Students are required to take their exams at the same time as the class. For classes that start before 9:00 am, and If a student presents a printed copy of the accommodation letter, please take a moment to check if the letter has also been sent to you via ClockWork so that you can complete the approval process electronically. If you have not received it via ClockWork, please remind the student to contact the OAE to complete this process.


How to Upload Tests and Exams

  1. Visit the Clockwork Instructor Portal.
  2. After reading the information found on the OAE Faculty Portal Page please click Courses.
  3. If a student signed up to take an exam at the OAE, you will see a yellow star next to Tests and Exams.
  4. Click on Test and Exams and it will prompt you to a list of students taking their exam at the OAE.
  5. Click on Add this Test.
  6. Follow the prompts to provide test/exam information.
  7. Upload the exam as a WORD document and select Submit Changes.
  8. Confirm the details of the test/exam.



Please see our ADA Faculty and Student Handbook

Modified Attendance Agreement Form
Guidelines for Modified Attendance 

Modified Assignment Deadlines Agreement Form
Guidelines for Modifed Assignment Deadlines  

Tips for Making Your Courses Accessible through UDL

Please visit the link below for information on how to make your courses accessible through the application of Universal Design principles: Universal Design in Postsecondary Education: Process, Principles, and Applications


Tips for Working with Students with Disabilities

When a student officially requests accommodations for the semester, you will receive an email with their Course Accommodation Record that you can also view through Clockwork. This record outlines the accommodations approved for that student by OAE. The following links contain suggested instructional tips in addition to possible approved accommodations for a variety of disabilities. The suggested tips, along with the information on specific disabilities, allow instructors to have a better picture of what barriers to instruction students with disabilities may face in a classroom. The instructional tips suggested are generally at the discretion of the instructor and are meant to give you greater insight into what is helpful. Please contact OAE at 865-2990 or if you have questions about required accommodations or suggested instructional tips.


Syllabus Statement


"Students needing academic accommodations for a disability must first be registered with the Office for Accessible Education (OAE) to verify the disability and to establish eligibility for accommodations. If you perceive disability-related barriers in a course, please let the OAE know immediately. OAE welcomes your feedback that will assist in improving the usability and experience for all students. Loyola is committed to offering classes that are inclusive in their design. OAE contact information is as follows:

Monroe Library, 2nd Floor
504-865-2990 (front office)

Please speak with me after you have discussed accommodations with Accessible Education."


Law School
Richelle Voelker

Undergraduate & Graduate Students
Samantha Pollard
Accessiblity Coordinator
[for students with A-M last names]

Dario Bayardo
Accessibility Coordinator
[for students with N-Z last names]



1. What happens if I do not agree with a formally requested accommodation?
. What do I do when a student discloses a disability?
. How do I approach a student who is having difficulty in the class and I suspect he/she may have a disability?
. Do I have the right to know what type of disability a student has when they ask for an accommodation?
. Do I need to change my grading standards for students with disabilities?
. What if a student doesn’t tell me about a disability until late in the semester?
. What if a student with a disability is failing?
. What if a student with a disability is often absent? 

1. What happens if I do not agree with a formally requested accommodation?
If you disagree with the academic accommodation requested, you should discuss your disagreement with the Office for Accessible Education, but you must continue to provide the accommodation. (Law professors should contact either officials of the law school or the OAE). An instructor may not forbid a student’s use of an academic adjustment or auxiliary aid if the prohibition limits a student’s participation in the University. Section 504 states: “A recipient may not impose upon handicapped student’s other rules, such as the prohibition of digital recorders in classrooms or of dog guides in campus buildings that have the effect of limiting the participation of handicapped students in the recipient’s education program or activity.” When you contact OAE, the student’s documentation, as well as the reasoning for and against the requested accommodations, will be reviewed. You will need to be able to substantiate that the provision of the accommodation(s) poses a fundamental alteration to the nature of the course being taught or creates an undue burden for the University. If upon this review, the accommodations are determined to not fundamentally alter the nature of the course or create an undue burden for the University, you would be required to accommodate the student.

2. What do I do when a student discloses a disability?

Ask the student for his/her CAR; this letter describes the accommodations that faculty are requested to provide. During an office hour or at another convenient time, discuss the letter and the accommodations with the student. Students MUST present a letter from OAE to receive accommodations. If the student does not have a letter, he or she should be referred to OAE to request services. An OAE Accessibliity Coordinator and the student engage in an interactive process to determine reasonable accommodations after documentation of the disability is provided by the student. There is no timeline during the semester or deadline for making requests. Students can usually request accommodations at any point during the semester. (This section does not apply to professors or students in the College of Law).

3. How do I approach a student who is having difficulty in the class and I suspect he/she may have a disability?

You may not legally ask students if they have a disability but you can make inquiries about the nature of their difficulties. You may ask if they had difficulties before and how they were able to succeed in previous classes. The student may voluntarily disclose the disability. At this point a referral to the OAE is in order. If he/she does not disclose, you may simply tell the student that you notice he/she is having academic difficulty and encourage him/her to talk with you about gaining assistance, just as you would with any student.

4. Do I have the right to know what type of disability a student has when they ask for an accommodation?
No. Students do not have to inform faculty about their disability, but only the needed accommodations. If you have a question regarding a student's need for an accommodation, you may contact OAE. (Law professors may contact either law school officials or the OAE). The office will have documentation regarding the student’s disability on file. The office cannot identify the disability, unless it is a "need-to-know" matter, but it can inform you if the student has a documented disability and if the accommodation requested is reasonable. The student may disclose his/her disability directly to you, in which case, you should maintain confidentiality regarding the student’s disability. Although you may be open to listening if a student chooses to explain her or his disability to you, without your actual or implied solicitation of information, it is very important that you communicate respect for the student’s privacy regarding the specific nature of her or his disability. If you ever suspect that a request for accommodation is not legitimate, contact OAE immediately.

5. Do I need to change my grading standards for students with disabilities?
No. The goal of accommodations in higher education is to provide students with disabilities with equal access and opportunity, not to provide an unfair advantage. In general, students with disabilities should be held to the same requirements as other students, although accommodations may alter how these requirements are met (e.g., provide more time to complete a test; allow tests to be taken in an alternate format). If you have any questions about a specific situation, please do not hesitate to contact the OAE.

6. What if a student doesn’t tell me about a disability until late in the semester?
There could be numerous reasons why a student makes a late request. They are permitted to bring documentation and make requests any time during the academic year. There may be a few situations where students make requests for accommodations so late that appropriate arrangements are impossible to make for that particular semester, but OAE will work to help that student for future semesters. Accommodations are not retroactive. Students have a responsibility to give instructors and OAE adequate time to arrange accommodations. The OAE staff encourage students to identify early in the semester. Faculty can help by announcing in class and in the syllabus an invitation for students to identify themselves early in the semester. Once a student has identified to the instructor and requests disability-related accommodations authorized by OAE, the University has a legal responsibility to make reasonable attempts to accommodate the need, even late in the semester. There is no responsibility to provide accommodations prior to identification.

7. What if a student with a disability is failing?
Treat the student as you would any student who is not performing well in your class. Invite the student to your office hour to discuss reasons for the failing performance and what resources the student may use to improve. Encourage the student to see an Accessibility Coordinator to discuss some additional strategies to improve his or her grades. Contact the OAE counselor who signed the Course Accommodation Record to discuss any additional concerns. (Law professors should contact either officials of the law school or the Director of OAE).

8. What if a student with a disability is often absent?

Talk with the student to discuss your concerns that absences are affecting class performance. Remind him or her of your policy on class absences. Determine with the student whether the missed work can be made up and make arrangements with the student to do so. Refer the student to the OAE if too much class work has been missed.