Women, Society and Culture
WMST-X294-001 | Spring 2013
Service learning is optional for this course.
Time commitment: 20 hours
Students in this course may opt to complete a service learning placement at one of the following agencies:
Anna's Arts for Kids
Boys Hope Girls Hope
Cafe con Ingles
Catholic Charities: Adult Education
Catholic Charities: Computer Literacy
Catholic Charities: English as a Second Language
Catholic Charities: Head Start
Center for Ethical Living and Social Justice Renewal (CELSJR)
Edible Schoolyard NOLA
Freret Neighborhood Center
Good Shepherd School
Harry Tompson Center
Kedila Family Learning Services
Lafayette Academy Reading Room
Luke's House Clinic
NET Charter High School
New Orleans Outreach
Orleans Public Defenders
Ozanam Inn Computer Lab
STAIR (Start the Adventure in Reading)
Uptown Shepherd's Center
Wilson Charter School
YMCA Educational Services (YES!)
HOW TO CHOOSE & COMPLETE A SERVICE LEARNING PLACEMENT
- Research your options. Browse the agencies listed on this page. Find ones that connect to your interests and passions. Also look for agencies that fit your schedule and transportation situation. Use this scheduler to figure out your best times to do service learning. Take into account the transportation support programs available through the Office of Service Learning.
- Make contact with your favorite agencies. It pays to initiate communication early. Remember, you are competing for limited spots at each agency.
- Come to the SERVE Fair to talk with agency staff and learn more about your favorites.
- Receive placement offers. Accept a placement offer online by Friday, January 25, 2013 at 5 pm. If you do not confirm a placement by Friday, January 25, you must complete the non-service learning option in this course.
- Complete preservice requirements.
- Agree on a regular schedule with your agency and start serving!
- Document all your hours using a service learning timesheet. Submit your first timesheet to Bobet 113 at midterm (Friday, March 8th @ 5pm). Submit your final timesheet by the last day of classes (Wed, May 1st @ 5pm).
- Finish all your service learning hours by the last day of classes.
- Your performance will be evaluated by your agency. This performance evaluation will be given to your professor an incorporated into your class grade.
- Receive a service learning transcript notation. Put it on your resume too!