Service learning often involves traveling to different locations throughout the community. It's important to follow some practical personal safety tips.
- When walking somewhere, stand up straight and look up, out, and around you. Be aware of your surroundings. Talking on a cell phone, wearing headphones, or looking down at your feet makes you a more distracted and a better target. You are less likely to notice possible dangers and easier to surprise.
- If using a university shuttle or public transit, know where your stop is and know the route schedule.
- Areas with lots of activity and commotion are generally safer than deserted, unpopulated areas. Stick to busy, well-lit streets, intersections and sidewalks.
- When possible, travel with a friend or in groups.
- Do not bring valuables to your service learning site.
- Tell someone you trust where you're going and when you will return.
For more tips, watch these two videos.
Street crime prevention
Parking lot safety