SOCI-J232-001; SOCI-X232-001 | Fall 2013
Service learning is optional for this course, but strongly recommended by the professor.
Time commitment: 15 hours
Service learning goal: This course is intended to provide all of us with the tools to critically reflect on and study social problems. Our work in class provides concepts and theories for analysis while our time at service learning sites will provide experiences that help us to evaluate or test these different concepts and theories.
Students in this course may complete a service learning placement at any of the following agencies:
Anna's Arts for Kids (weekday tutoring shifts ONLY)
APEX Youth Center
Boys Hope Girls Hope
Elevate (tutoring ONLY)
Good Shepherd School
Kedila Family Learning Services
Lafayette Academy Reading Room
NET Charter High School
Orleans Public Defenders
St. Stephen Catholic School
STAIR: Start the Adventure in Reading
Wilson Charter School
HOW TO CHOOSE & COMPLETE A SERVICE LEARNING PLACEMENT
- Watch this video on how to get a service learning placement.
- Once you have finalized your service learning placement, document all your hours using a service learning timesheet. Submit timesheets to the service learning office twice per semester. Check the Loyola Service Learning Calendar for timesheet deadlines.
- Finish all your service learning hours by the last day of classes.
- Know that your performance will be evaluated by your agency. This performance evaluation will be given to your professor and incorporated into your class grade.
- Receive a service learning transcript notation. Put it on your resume too!