Forming the Self
LAS-T121-F02 | Fall 2012
Service learning is required for this course.
Time commitment: 20 hours
All students in this course must complete a service learning placement with one of the following agencies:
how to choose and complete your placement
- Decide which volunteer opportunity is the best match for your interests, skills and gifts. Also consider your schedule. With the transportation supports offered through the Office of Service Learning, is it reasonable for you to get to your preferred placement regularly?
- If you're interested in Boys Hope Girls Hope, make contact as soon as possible. This placement operates on a system of mutual choice. Students from many classes will be competing for limited spots at Boys Hope Girls Hope.
- If you're interested in Boys Hope Girls Hope, come to the SERVE Fair to meet the staff. Cathedral Academy staff will be visiting your class.
- Whichever placement you end up in, you must fill out this acceptance form online by Friday, September 14th, 2012 at 5 pm. Students in this class are guaranteed a placement at Cathedral Academy. If you are not offered a placement at Boys Hope Girls Hope, you must complete your placement at Cathedral Academy.
- Complete preservice requirements, including training, paperwork, etc.
- Agree on a regular schedule and start serving!
- Document all your hours using a service learning timesheet. Submit your first timesheet to Bobet 113 at midterm (Friday, October 19th @ 5pm). Submit your final timesheet by the last day of classes (Fri, December 7th @ 5pm).
- Finish all your service learning hours by the last day of classes. You should serve your hours regularly throughout the semester (approximately 2 hours per week).
- Your performance will be evaluated by your supervisor. This performance evaluation will be given to your professor an incorporated into your class grade.
- Receive a service learning transcript notation. Put it on your resume too!