Contemporary Spain: Alternative Culture
SPAN-A455-001 | Fall 2012
Service learning is optional for this course.
Time commitment:15 hours
Service learning goal: Students will learn sensitivity to a marginalized group within society and how that community expresses itself (through art, if applicable) by volunteering in Latino-serving and other organizations.
Students in this course may choose to complete a service learning placement with one of the following agencies:
Anna's Arts for Kids
Cafe con Ingles
Catholic Charities: Crescent House
Catholic Charities: English as a Second Language
Harry Tompson Center
Metropolitan Center for Women and Children
Ozanam Inn Computer Lab
how to choose & complete a service learning placement
- Research your options. Browse the agencies listed on this page. Find ones that connect to your interests and passions. Also look for agencies that fit your schedule and transportation situation. Use this scheduler to figure out your best times to do service learning. Take into account the transportation support programs available through the Office of Service Learning.
- Make contact with your favorite agencies. It pays to initiate communication early. Remember, you are competing for limited spots at each agency.
- Come to the SERVE Fair to talk with agency staff and learn more about your favorites.
- Receive placement offers. Accept a placement offer online by Friday, September 14th, 2012 at 5 pm. If you do not confirm a placement by Friday, September 14th, you must complete the non-service learning option in this course.
- Complete preservice requirements.
- Agree on a regular schedule with your agency and start serving!
- Document all your hours using a service learning timesheet. Submit your first timesheet to Bobet 113 at midterm (Friday, October 19th @ 5pm). Submit your final timesheet by the last day of classes (Fri, December 7th @ 5pm).
- Finish all your service learning hours by the last day of classes.
- Your performance will be evaluated by your agency. This performance evaluation will be given to your professor an incorporated into your class grade.
- Receive a service learning transcript notation. Put it on your resume too!