Benefits of service learning for faculty
- Service learning can help students learn more and be more engaged during class time.
- More than three-quarters of faculty who teach service learning classes report that it brings positive recognition from departments, colleges, and professional associations or networks.
- Service learning is a form of community engagement which can enhance a faculty member's CV. Service learning can also be considered in promotion and tenure decisions.
- 80% of faculty who have taught a service learning course say the experience gave them new teaching ideas.
- Service learning can generate ideas and partnerships for community-based research and scholarly projects.