March 19, 2004
Loyola honors athletic greats at Hall of Fame induction ceremony
Loyola pride is vivid on campus today. Likewise, it also can be seen in alumni as it was when former athletes returned to cam-pus last month to be inducted into the Loyola Athletic Hall of Fame. The university and the Department of Athletics paid homage to track, basketball, and baseball players in a special ceremony on February 28. The Hall of Fame honors those collegiate athletes who made outstanding contributions to their sport.
This year's honorees were Sam Ascani, B'56, track; the 1953-54 men's basketball team; and the 1960 baseball team.
Jerry Hernandez, Loyola athletic director and men's head basketball coach, was this year's recipient of the St. Sebastian Award. As assistant athletic director, Hernandez was instrumental in resurrecting Loyola's athletic program and creating the annual Loyola Hall of Fame ceremony. Previously, Hernandez held positions as a high school English teacher and basketball coach at Archbishop Shaw High School, Jesuit High School, De LaSalle High School, and St. Martin High School. As a community leader, he has given his timeand talent in conducting free basketball clinics for Fellowship Boys Foundation, as well as for schools, playgrounds, and recreation departments throughout the Greater New Orleans area. He earned a bachelor's of science degree in education from the University of Southeastern Louisiana and a master's degree in education from the University of New Orleans. The St. Sebastian award is presented annually to a person who has given continuous support and dedication to the athletic program of the university
The Hall of Fame events began with the women's basketball team taking on Tougaloo College at 3 p.m., and the men's basketball team played Tougaloo at 5 p.m. An informal presentation took place during half time at the men's game. Events kicked into high gear with a welcoming reception at 7 p.m. in the Danna Center Lounge and the official ceremony an hour later in the St. Charles Room.
The Hall of Fame was created in 1964 and reinstated in 1993 with the return of intercollegiate athletics to campus.
Members of the 1953-54 basketball team were inducted into the Hall of Fame on February 28 in a ceremony honoring their outstanding record.
Members of the 1960 baseball team cannot conceal their pride in being inducted into the Hall of Fame.