Monroe Library observes Centennial with exhibit
Loyola press release - August 7, 2007
(New Orleans)—Loyola University’s Monroe Library is observing the Centennial of the establishment of the New Orleans Province of the Society of Jesus with an exhibit of photographs and documents from that era. The exhibit is on display in Special Collections and Archives on the Library’s third floor.
The Jesuits had
been missionaries in Louisiana
during the exploration and
colonial periods, but returned in 1836 at the invitation of New Orleans Archbishop Antoine Blanc to establish a Jesuit College in Louisiana. They founded St. Charles College at Grand Coteau in 1837.
Jesuits worked in
the Southern states for many years as a Mission
Lyon Province, and as an independent New Orleans Mission. But, in 1907
Father General Francis Xavier Wernz, S.J. established the New Orleans Province of the American Assistancy.
The Monroe Library exhibit features vintage photos of the Apostolates of the Province in 1907; Men of the Province, including many who served at Loyola University; documents from Rome establishing the new Province; church artifacts and examples of rare early editions of “The Spiritual Exercises.”
The exhibit will be on display throughout the year.