Greenville Hall fountain restored as 2004-2005 Senior Class gift
Loyola press release - April 30, 2007
(New Orleans)—Please come visit the newly restored fountain in front of Greenville Hall. The recently completed restoration of the historic fountain that adorns the center of Greenville Lawn was given as the Senior Class gift by the 2004 and 2005 graduating classes at Loyola.
The fountain dates back to circa 1908. Classes were held and students lived in Greenville Hall in its previous incarnation as part of Dominican High School. Wishes were made on the fountain with a coin toss and at lunch students watched the goldfish that swam in the fountain.
Some of the scope of the restoration work included restoring the holding pond, applying waterproofing, painting, drilling holes for electricity, providing new plumbing and pipes, restoring the iron sculpture, re-welding broken pieces, and painting the pool with blank paint.
The Senior Class Gift is a student-led campaign that unites seniors to give back to Loyola in support of undergraduate education. The Class of 1998 began a tradition of giving back to Loyola through the Senior Class Gift Program. The program was instituted to give graduating seniors an opportunity to leave behind a “thank you” that will make a difference for future students.
Past gifts to Loyola include the dedication of trees in the Palm Court, a replica of the Loyola seal, an annual scholarship, the donation of books to the J. Edgar and Louise S. Monroe Library, and the Jesuit Ideal stepping-stones.
Loyola University New Orleans is a Jesuit-Catholic institution with a total student enrollment of 4,724 including 800 law students.