Students return to newly-renovated Biever Hall at Loyola University New Orleans
Loyola press release - August 22, 2000
(New Orleans)—Loyola University New Orleans’ Biever Hall will open for residential students this week with a newly-refurbished interior. Biever Hall has had $5.5 million spent on renovating, redecorating and updating of the building and its systems over the past 15 months. Built in 1964, the hall was in need of work after having housed residents for almost 36 years.
Describing the renovations at Biever Hall, Director of Residential Life Robert Reed said, "We listened to students in focus groups, and we visited other universities to see what they were doing in their residence halls. We wanted to give the residents as much of what they wanted as possible."
Some of the improvements include:
- New electrical and plumbing systems
- Internet and voice mail connections for each student
- Controls for air conditioning in each room rather than one main control system
- Moveable furniture, not bolted to the floor, to allow more personalized decorating
- A new fire sprinkler system and smoke alarms in each room
- Kitchens with microwaves on each of the six floors
- Windows that open to allow fresh air in each room
Biever Hall was named for the first president of Loyola University, the Rev. Albert Biever, S.J., who, in 1904, opened the long-planned college.
Based on the heritage of Catholic Jesuit higher education in Louisiana since 1849, Loyola University New Orleans was chartered in 1912. Today, the university serves approximately 5,550 undergraduate and graduate students. The university is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.