Loyola begins first phase of construction master plan
Loyola press release - January 19, 2010
Loyola University New Orleans has approved $35 million in infrastructure improvements and work began earlier this month on the first phase of the facilities master plan for the university.
Projects within the plan will primarily relieve space constraints on campus and assist the university in managing future growth. The plan, which allocates $35 million to facilities updates and renovations, was approved in December by the university’s board of trustees.
“This plan reflects Loyola’s commitment to a thriving, growing residential campus,” said the Rev. Kevin Wm. Wildes, S.J., Ph.D., university president. “We are really looking forward to the results, which will further accentuate the utility and beauty of our campus.”
Phase I includes:
- $14.5 million in improvements for Thomas Hall. The renovation budget includes updates to heating and cooling infrastructure, architectural fees, furniture, fixtures and other contingencies. Once renovations are complete, Thomas Hall will provide Loyola students and prospective students a one-stop-shop administrative building, housing the offices of admissions, financial aid, the bursar, student records and student finance. The renovation will also free space in Marquette Hall, which is expected to be used for additional classroom space.
- $6 million for a two-floor addition to the West Road Parking Garage to meet city requirements for construction for new residence hall facilities, which are slated for future phases of the master plan. Loyola is working in conjunction with Tulane University on the design for the garage addition.
- $1.5 million for improvements to the high-temperature and chilled water piping that provides Monroe Hall with heating, ventilation and air conditioning.
- $8 million for the main campus central plant, to replace the chiller and cooling tower.
- $5 million for contingency improvements to the main and Broadway campuses.
For more information, contact Meredith Hartley, director of the Office of Public Affairs and External Relations, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 504-722-6078.
LoyNews is an e-newswire produced by the Loyola University New Orleans Office of Public Affairs. LoyNews is distributed weekly to local, regional and national news media outlets, communicating the latest news and accomplishments of the university and its community.