Mass Comm students win big at La. Press Association competition
Loyola press release - May 4, 2009
Loyola’s student newspaper, The Maroon, won eight awards at last Saturday’s Louisiana Press Association 2008 Newspaper Competition, including two first-place honors for news and sports writing.
Also, School of Mass Communication senior and The Times-Picayune writer Ramon Antonio Vargas won an individual feature writing award for his story in The Times-Picayune about teen boxer Roy Middleton. Vargas was the 2008 editor of The Maroon.
Seventy-nine publications submitted 3,812 entries in this year’s competition. Maroon winners included:
- Jessica Williams, mass communication junior, first place, Best News Story for "WFF pay just isn’t enough"
- Eduardo Gonzalez, mass communication junior, first place, Best Sports Story for "Wildes hits the ring"
- Tom Macom, mass communication senior, third place, Best Sports Photo
- Kevin Zansler, mass communication sophomore, third place, Best General News Photo
- The Maroon, third place, General Excellence
- Tom Macom, honorable mention, Best Sports Photo
- Briana Prevost, mass communication senior, honorable mention, Best Sports Story for "Down but not out"
- Rachel Strassel, mass communication senior, honorable mention, Best General News Photo
"I am proud that the work done by our crew of dedicated journalists is being recognized, but I can’t say I am surprised. I am constantly in awe of their dedication, skill and passion," said Michael Giusti, faculty adviser for The Maroon.
Louisiana Press Association’s mission is to unite Louisiana newspapers as a cooperative association which creates and fosters an economic, political and legal environment where newspapers can compete and flourish as providers of information and information services. The LPA is the official trade organization for Louisiana newspapers and provides representation in the legislature and educational services.
For more information on The Maroon, contact Giusti at 504-865-3295 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org .
LoyNews is an e-newswire produced by the Loyola University New Orleans Office of Public Affairs. LoyNews is distributed weekly to local, regional and national news media outlets, communicating the latest news and accomplishments of the university and its community.