Maroon staffers honored by Society of Professional Journalists
Loyola press release - April 13, 2009
Four staffers of The Maroon, Loyola University New Orleans' student newspaper, received regional Society of Professional Journalists Mark of Excellence Awards last week. The awards, which honor the best in student journalism, are first judged regionally, and first-place winning entries are submitted to the SPJ national competition. Winners of the national competition will be announced at the SPJ Convention and National Journalism Conference in Indianapolis this summer.
Regional winners include:
· Jessica Williams, first place, General News Reporting for “WFF pay ‘just isn’t enough’”
· Katie Urbaszewski, first place, Online News Reporting for “Center for Intercultural Understanding plans finalized”
· Rachel Strassel, first place, Feature Photography for “The start of something new”
· Rachel Strassel, second place, Feature Photography for “Mardi Gras Indians perform”
· Kevin Zansler, second place, General News Photography for “Into the streets”
The Maroon staffers are also competing in the Louisiana Press Association Better Newspaper Competition, which will announce winners April 25. The following are competing staff members and the categories for which they are nominated:
· Jessica Williams, Best News Story or News Feature
· Eduardo Gonzalez, Best Sports Story or Sports Feature
· Briana Prevost, Best Sports Story or Sports Feature
· Rachel Strassel, Best General News Photo or Feature Photo
· Kevin Zansler, Best General News Photo or Feature Photo
· Tom Macom, Best Sports Photo (nominated twice)
· The Maroon, General Excellence
In February, The Maroon was recognized in the 2009 Southeastern Journalism Conference Best of the South Awards, and in March, student staffers received awards at the Columbia Scholastic Press Association Gold Circle Awards, a national competition which recognizes superior print or online work by student journalists.
For more information on The Maroon, contact Michael Giusti at 504-865-3295 or by e-mail at email@example.com.
LoyNews is an e-newswire produced by the Loyola University New Orleans Office of Public Affairs. LoyNews is distributed weekly to local, regional and national news media outlets, communicating the latest news and accomplishments of the university and its community.