The Maroon cleans up at Press Club’s Journalism Awards
Loyola press release - July 28, 2008
The Maroon, Loyola University New Orleans’ student newspaper, won six awards at the Press Club of New Orleans 50th annual Journalism Awards competition on July 19, hosted by NBC’s Hoda Kotb. The Maroon won two first-place awards, three second-place awards and one third-place award.
For The Maroon, the Press Club awards are unique in that the college newspaper competes against professional publications in the city and region, not other college publications.
In addition to The Maroon, Loyola University students, faculty and alumni won awards for work in other media outlets such as the Times-Picayune, New Orleans CityBusiness and WWL-TV.
The Maroon awards included:
- Sports Feature Photo, first place: Steve Kashishian, Michael Nissman
- Sports Column, first place: Ramon Antonio Vargas
- Sports Feature Photo, second place: Steve Kashishian
- Sports Column, second place: Michael Nissman
- General News Photo, second place: Michael Nissman
- Multi-feature Photo, third place: Kathleen McCann
Loyola University student awards included:
- Sports Feature, third place: Michael Nissman, The Times-Picayune
- Public Affairs TV: Trevor Cassidy, St. Tammany Parish Public Schools Channel 13; Teen Focus on Safe Driving Forum, St. Tammany: “Survivor”
Loyola University faculty awards included:
- Sports Deadline, first place: Les East, Baton Rouge Advocate
- General News, second place: Mike Perlstein, New Orleans Magazine
- Sports Column, third place: Les East, Baton Rouge Advocate
Loyola University alumni winners included:
- Bob Marshall of The Times Picayune
- Autumn C. Giusti of New Orleans CityBusiness
- Lisa Finnan of Northshore Report
- Travers Mackel of WDSU-TV
- Lucy Bustamante of WWL-TV
- Dominic Massa of WWL-TV
- Fletcher Mackel of WDSU-TV
LoyNews is an e-newswire produced by the Loyola University New Orleans Office of Public Affairs. LoyNews is distributed weekly to local, regional and national news media outlets, communicating the latest news and accomplishments of the university and its community.