Loyola at a Glance
Registration opens for Family Weekend 2013
September 13, 2013
Loyola University New Orleans invites its students’ families and friends to visit the campus for Family Weekend Sept. 27-29. Family Weekend is a way for families to reconnect after the beginning of a new academic year and allows students’ families to experience Loyola as they do.
Events kick off Friday with a welcome reception featuring local foods and performances by student musicians. The weekend of activities is coordinated by the Office of Student Affairs and continues through Sunday, concluding with a farewell jazz brunch and a conversation with Loyola University President Kevin Wm. Wildes, S.J., Ph.D.
This year’s Family Weekend includes:
- courses taught by Loyola faculty members from the Center for the Study of New Orleans.
- class shadowing, allowing families to experience Loyola academics by accompanying students through their class schedule on Friday.
- an open house and dedication of Cabra Hall, the newly renovated residence hall;
- bus tours around the city as seen through the eyes of faculty members from the Center for the Study of New Orleans;
- a Study Abroad Fair to learn about Loyola’s exciting cultural programs and meet the faculty who host them;
- a daily Mass in St. Ignatius Chapel on Friday and a Saturday vigil Mass in Holy Name of Jesus Church;
- Loyola Volleyball matches with Emmanuel College on Friday and Southern Wesleyan on Saturday;
- the PRISM Concert on Saturday, featuring Loyola’s major musical ensembles from the College of Music and Fine Arts; and
- Salsa dance lessons as late-night entertainment led by Bayou Movimiento.
To view the entire schedule or to register for the weekend, visit Loyola’s Family Weekend website. Registration is required to attend. The cost for family and friends ages 13 and older is $80. The cost for children ages 7 to 12 is $25. Loyola students and children age 6 and younger are free. For more information on Family Weekend, contact Seth Hagler, assistant director of Residential Life, at 504-865-2445 or email@example.com.
Loyola at a Glance is written and distributed for the faculty, staff, students and friends of Loyola University New Orleans. It is published by the Office of Public Affairs, Greenville Hall, Box 909, 7214 St. Charles Avenue, New Orleans, LA 70118. (504) 861-5888.
Information to be included in Loyola at a Glance must be received 2-3 weeks in advance of the publication date. Send us your news here.