Loyola at a Glance
Music education alumni accept teaching positions around the U.S.
August 23, 2013
From Alabama and Louisiana to Oklahoma and Texas, young alumni from Loyola University New Orleans music education program were recently chosen for teaching positions at schools across the United States.
Loyola’s music education program educates and trains pre-service music teachers to be eligible for teacher certification in Louisiana, which is reciprocal with many other states throughout the nation. Alumni with new positions include:
- Katie Bertschi ’12, choral director at Central Lafourche High School in Thibodaux, La.;
- Emily Boudreaux ’11, music teacher and choral director at Catholic High School in Houston, Texas;
- Austin Davis, assistant band director at Boston College High School in Boston, Mass.;
- Daniel DeShazo ’09, music director at Helena United Methodist Church in Helena, Ala.;
- Marley Dzis ’09, choral director at the Chicago Waldorf School in Chicago, Ill.;
- Brooke Hagler ’13, music teacher and choral director at the Lusher School in New Orleans;
- Scott Kiser, elementary general music teacher and middle school band director at the Belle Chasse Middle School in Belle Chasse, La.;
- Victoria LaFitte ’13, band director at the Bonnabel Magnet Academy High School in Kenner, La.;
- Teona Looney, music teacher and choral director at Chouteau Mazie High School in Chouteau, Okla.;
- Sara Melton ’09, music teacher at Paul Habans Elementary in New Orleans;
- Ronald Nolting ’13, assistant band director at Holy Cross School in New Orleans.;
- Kenny Tsao ’13, graduate teaching assistant in the Washington State University School of Music. Tsao is also pursuing a master’s in music at the university.
Loyola at a Glance is written and distributed for the faculty, staff, students and friends of Loyola University New Orleans. It is published by the Office of Public Affairs, Greenville Hall, Box 909, 7214 St. Charles Avenue, New Orleans, LA 70118. (504) 861-5888.
Information to be included in Loyola at a Glance must be received 2-3 weeks in advance of the publication date. Send us your news here.