Loyola at a Glance
Preparatory Arts Program pianists receive top honors at district competition
May 10, 2013
Multiple piano students from the Preparatory Arts Program at Loyola University New Orleans received top awards, including several Outstanding Achievement Awards, from the local division of the Louisiana Music Teachers Association during its New Orleans piano rally in late April. Nine of those students were selected to perform at the association’s Torgrimson-Swanzy state finals at Southeastern Louisiana University June 1.
Student pianists performing in the state finals are: Audrey Burkey, Betsy Cao, Sophia Cao, Mary Clark, Paulina Crouch, Alex Devlin, Emma Freeman, Robert Freeman, Isabelle Lam, Carine Lama and Millie Mince.
The rally promotes and encourages excellence in the field of music study, serving as a growth process for students and teachers by providing an opportunity for students to demonstrate their musical skills. Students enter the district rallies and must participate in four divisions: performance, sight reading, keyboard musicianship, and written theory, history and ear training for award eligibility.
2013 award winners:
- Audrey Burkey, Level 1b, third place
- Betsy Cao, Prep Bb, Outstanding Achievement
- Sophia Cao, Prep Ba, third place and Outstanding Achievement
- Mary Clark, Prep Bb, third place and Outstanding Achievement
- Evangeline Crouch, Level 2b, third place and Outstanding Achievement
- Paulina Crouch, Level 2a, first place and Outstanding Achievement
- Max Devlin, Prep Aa, first place and Outstanding Achievement
- Emma Freeman, Level 1-b, second place and Outstanding Achievement
- Robert Freeman, Level 1-a, second place and Outstanding Achievement
- Isabelle Lam, Level 2a, second place and Outstanding Achievement
- Carine Lama, Level 3, second place and Outstanding Achievement
- Bowen Mince, Level 2b, second place
- Millie Mince, Level 1a, first place and Outstanding Achievement
In addition, 31 students received a score of 90 or above in all four divisions and received special recognition.
The Loyola Preparatory Arts Program is one of the few comprehensive music programs in the metropolitan New Orleans area, offering a structured program of music studies in piano, ballet, voice, guitar and string instruments with additional areas as needed and available.
For more information, contact Preparatory Arts Music Program Director Elizabeth Floyd at 504-865-3591.
Loyola at a Glance is written and distributed for the faculty, staff, students and friends of Loyola University New Orleans. It is published by the Office of Public Affairs, Greenville Hall, Box 909, 7214 St. Charles Avenue, New Orleans, LA 70118. (504) 861-5888.
Information to be included in Loyola at a Glance must be received 2-3 weeks in advance of the publication date. Send us your news here.