Loyola at a Glance
Loyola purchases Veritas Hall, expands Broadway campus
November 16, 2012
Loyola University New Orleans has recently acquired the property known as Veritas Hall located at 7300 St. Charles Avenue, formerly owned by St. Mary’s Dominican Sisters of Peace. The historic mansion was originally constructed in 1906 for the Fabacher family and was later used as a library for St. Mary’s Dominican College. It was most recently used to house college records, alumni offices, and as a gathering space for Dominican alumni.
While the future use of the building is currently under consideration by Loyola, the acquisition of the property was instrumental in being able to carry out our facilities master plan, which includes enhancing and growing residential and social spaces for campus constituents. This acquisition of property was made possible through the use of Loyola’s capital budget funds, not from its operational budget.
Loyola began acquiring property from the Dominican Sisters in the mid-1980s following the college’s closure. In 1984, Loyola purchased the college’s library and its science building which were renovated and combined, and now house Loyola’s College of Law. Additionally, the purchase included Greenville Hall, Cabra Hall, the president’s house, the former convent now known as St. Mary’s Hall and the Broadway Activities Center. The Dominican Conference Center was purchased by Loyola in 2009, and that site, along with the site of the former president’s house, is the new home of the College of Law Broadway Building.
Loyola at a Glance is written and distributed for the faculty, staff, students and friends of Loyola University New Orleans. It is published by the Office of Public Affairs, Greenville Hall, Box 909, 7214 St. Charles Avenue, New Orleans, LA 70118. (504) 861-5888.
Information to be included in Loyola at a Glance must be received 2-3 weeks in advance of the publication date. Send us your news here.