Loyola at a Glance
Monroe Library celebrates Loyola centennial
March 30, 2012
A series of exhibits in the J. Edgar and Louise S. Monroe Library are helping to to commemorate the centennial of Loyola University New Orleans. Items on display in the exhibits, which are being held in a number of locations in the Monroe Library and in Thomas Hall, feature historical memorabilia, souvenirs, photographs, video and artifacts from the library’s Special Collections and Archives, the Archives of the New Orleans Jesuit Province and personal collections of Loyola alumni and friends. The Centennial Exhibit opens Friday, April 13 and runs through May 13, 2013.
Exhibits highlighting Loyola's rich history include:
The History and Growth exhibit
Located in Special Collections and the Reading Room, both on the third floor of the library, this exhibit documents the origins and development of Loyola University—from the return of the Jesuits to Louisiana in 1836, to the founding of the College of the Immaculate Conception in 1849, to the creation of Loyola College on St. Charles Ave. in 1904, to the birth of Loyola University in 1912 and to its first century of growth, change and continuity.
The History of Athletics exhibit
Located in the Living Room on the first floor of the library, it recalls many of the highlights of Loyola’s long athletic history. The university began competing in intercollegiate athletics in the early 1920s and soon fielded teams in several sports.
The Hall of Presidents exhibit
Housed in the reception room of the Thomas Hall Visitor Center, the presidents exhibit pays tribute to the 17 Jesuits who headed the administration of Loyola University from 1912 to the present.
The Performing Arts exhibit
Located in the front alcove of the library’s second floor, this exhibit surveys the history of performing arts at Loyola. Since the College of the Immaculate Conception was founded in 1849, popular student organizations have allowed talented Loyola students to flourish in music, theater and dance.
The WWL-AM-FM-TV exhibit
This special presentation, located in the Special Collections window on the third floor of the library, highlights the programs, personalities and achievements of the university-owned WWL-AM-FM-TV. In 1922, the university acquired a commercial license for WWL Radio, and in 1935, the station affiliated with CBS.
The Building Loyola exhibit
Located in the main corridor of the library’s third floor, this exhibit looks at how Loyola has physically changed over the past century.
Loyola at a Glance is written and distributed for the faculty, staff, students and friends of Loyola University New Orleans. It is published by the Office of Public Affairs, Greenville Hall, Box 909, 7214 St. Charles Avenue, New Orleans, LA 70118. (504) 861-5888.
Information to be included in Loyola at a Glance must be received 2-3 weeks in advance of the publication date. Send us your news here.