Loyola at a Glance
Loyola takes action to prepare for Tropical Storm Lee
September 2, 2011
The storm system in the Gulf of Mexico, Tropical Storm Lee, is expected to gradually move toward the Louisiana coast over the next several days bringing heavy rainfall to the area and possible flooding.
Loyola has activated its Emergency Management Team and the university is taking the following actions to prepare in the event the storm system should strengthen:
- The university will enact liberal leave beginning at 3 p.m. today, Friday, Sept. 2. All non-essential personnel may leave with supervisor approval.
- All university activities, including any classes, will be cancelled starting at 3 p.m. today through Monday.
- Faculty/staff are to implement their individual departmental emergency plans prior to leaving today.
- Resident students are to shelter in place. Those at Cabra Hall will be moved to the main campus by university personnel if weather becomes more severe, but before the threat of flooding closes roads. All students should follow the guidance given them by Res Life staff.
- All facilities on campus will close at 3 p.m. today through Monday, with the exception of the Sports Complex and the Danna Student Center, which will both remain open to students. The Sports Complex will not act as a public shelter.
- Masses in Ignatius Chapel will be cancelled. A student Mass will be held on Sunday at 9 p.m. in the Danna Student Center St. Charles Room.
- Both the West Road Garage and the Freret Street Garage will be open only to valid permit holders.
Loyola administration will continue to closely monitor the situation along with state and local officials and will work diligently to keep you updated as the situation evolves.
Please remember that your official source of information is the university website (www.loyno.edu) and the university's emergency hotline, (504-865-2186) (toll free, 1-888-94LOYNO).
Loyola at a Glance is written and distributed for the faculty, staff, students and friends of Loyola University New Orleans. It is published by the Office of Public Affairs, Greenville Hall, Box 909, 7214 St. Charles Avenue, New Orleans, LA 70118. (504) 861-5888.
Information to be included in Loyola at a Glance must be received 2-3 weeks in advance of the publication date. Send us your news here.