Loyola at a Glance
'Love Your Body' week begins Monday
February 11, 2011
|Stacy Nadeau of Dove's Real Women Campaign, will speak Feb. 16 at 7 p.m.|
The Women’s Resource Center at Loyola University New Orleans will celebrate health and well-being with “Love Your Body Week,” Feb. 14 – 19. This year’s theme will be food and women’s empowerment.
The events of Loyola's Love Your Body Week range from discussions with experts about societal forces and everyday pressures that can affect one’s self-esteem and health, to exploration of our social, political and emotional connections to food, and ways to benefit the body by feeding the spirit. All are free and open to the public.
Activities and events include:
- Walks in Audubon Park; Feb. 14, 16 and 18, 12:30 p.m. Meet at fountain at the St. Charles Ave. entrance. Co-sponsored by the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics and Wellness.
- “Love your body by feeding your soul,” meditation led by Laura Quigley, associate director of University Ministry, Feb. 15, 12:30 p.m., Women’s Resource Center, Mercy Hall, Room 103.
- “Just One Thing Campaign – Eating Disorders Awareness,” Feb. 15, 12:30-2 p.m. at the Grid Table in the Danna Student Center. Sponsored by the University Counseling Center.
- “Girls' Night In,” discussion with Erin Frye, N.P., and Amie Cardinal, R.N., Student Health Services, Feb. 15, 7 p.m., Mushroom in Buddig Hall, first floor.
- “Indian Women and the Ultra-Thin Ideal,” discussion with Jaita Talukdar, Ph.D., assistant professor of sociology, Feb. 16, 3 p.m., Women’s Resource Center, Mercy Hall, Room 103.
- Motivational lecture by Stacy Nadeau of Dove’s Real Women Campaign, Feb. 16, 7 p.m., St. Charles Room, Danna Student Center. Sponsored by the Office of Co-Curricular Programs.
- Brown Bag Lunch with Sr. Jane Remson of the Twomey Center for Peace Through Justice - “A Conversation with the Carmelite NGO on Global Issues – Food Security,” Feb. 17, 12:30 p.m., Women’s Resource Center, Mercy Hall, Room 103.
- Salsa lessons and healthy snacks, Feb. 18, 3:30 p.m., Res Quad. Sponsored by the University Programming Board.
- “Service and Sustenance: Work in the Latino Farmers’ Cooperative Community Garden,” followed by lunch and interfaith discussion, 9 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. Transportation will be provided for those who need it. Meet at Mercy Lot at 8:30 a.m. RSVP to Karen Reichard at firstname.lastname@example.org. Co-sponsored by University Ministry.
- Discounted prices on workout options are being offered by Athletics and Wellness this week: Workout 101 - $79 and the Class Pass - $65.
- Dining Services will do a special focus on Healthy Choices.
- Throughout the week, the Women’s Resource Center will serve as a relaxation zone.
The Love Your Body campaign was initiated by the National Organization for Women Foundation in 1997 with the intent to help raise awareness about women’s health, self-esteem and body image.
Love Your Body Week is made possible by the participation of the Office of Co-Curricular Programs, University Ministry, Athletics and Wellness, the University Counseling Center, Student Health Services, University Programming Board, Women’s Initiatives Organization and Dining Services.
For more information on events, visit the Women’s Resource Center Website or contact Karen Reichard at 504-864-7880.
Loyola at a Glance is written and distributed for the faculty, staff, students and friends of Loyola University New Orleans. It is published by the Office of Public Affairs, Greenville Hall, Box 909, 7214 St. Charles Avenue, New Orleans, LA 70118. (504) 861-5888.
Information to be included in Loyola at a Glance must be received 2-3 weeks in advance of the publication date. Send us your news here.