Loyola at a Glance
Center for International Education hosts week of events
November 5, 2010
The Center for International Education will host an array of activities Nov. 8 – 11 including brown bag lunches with faculty, study abroad information sessions, and a celebration of Haiti.
Monday, Nov. 8
- Tales of a former study abroad program director in Mexico City, 12:30 p.m., Mercy Hall, Room 301. Brown Bag Lunch with Larry Lorenz, Ph.D., the A. Louis Read Distinguished Professor in Mass Communication.
Tuesday, Nov. 9
- Challenges of conducting research in South Africa, Rwanda and the Democratic Republic of the Congo, 12:30 p.m., Mercy Hall, Room 301. Brown Bag Lunch with Katherine Fidler, Ph.D., assistant professor of African history.
- Work Abroad 101 information session. 5-6 p.m., Monroe Library Multimedia Room 2. Explore career opportunities around the globe, learn about jobs and industries in various countries, and discover the steps to pursue international options.
Wednesday, Nov. 10
- DREAM act, community-based alternatives to detention, Loyola Law Clinic services and community involvement, 12:30 p.m., Mercy Hall, Room 301. Brown Bag Lunch with Sue Weishar, Ph.D., migration specialist/fellow at the Jesuit Social Research Institute and Laila Hlass, staff attorney/Equal Justice Works Fellow at the Law Clinic at Loyola University New Orleans College of Law
- Study Abroad 101 information session. 5-6 p.m., Monroe Library, Multimedia Room 2. Learn everything you need to know so you can explore your options, choose your overseas location and decide which program is best for you.
- Two-to-Tell Travel Tales Showcase, 7 p.m., Satchmo's, Danna Student Center. This showcase will feature two-minute presentations, travel stories and creative demonstrations of past study abroad participants. The top prize is a $200 travel voucher from STA Travel, valid toward a flight anywhere in the world.
Thursday, Nov. 11
- Haiti Celebration, 5-7 p.m., Audubon Room, Danna Student Center. Haitian music, photography and poetry will be on display as Loyola continues its celebration of the “Half the Sky” read-a-thon, a fundraiser for Fonkoze, which is the largest microfinance institution in Haiti. For more information about the read-a-thon, visit www.loyno.edu/cie/half-sky-read-thon.
For a more detailed description of events, visit the Center for International Education Web site, or contact Kristy Magner, international student services coordinator, at 504-864-7550.
Loyola at a Glance is written and distributed for the faculty, staff, students and friends of Loyola University New Orleans. It is published by the Office of Public Affairs, Greenville Hall, Box 909, 7214 St. Charles Avenue, New Orleans, LA 70118. (504) 861-5888.
Information to be included in Loyola at a Glance must be received 2-3 weeks in advance of the publication date. Send us your news here.