Loyola at a Glance
Loyola students, staff nominated for Press Club awards
July 2, 2010
Loyola University New Orleans students and staff received nine Press Club award nominations for their outstanding work in journalism, photography and public relations.
Loyola’s student newspaper, The Maroon, received seven award nominations for work produced by six student journalists. The nominations are represented in six categories, ranging from sports to photography.
- Katie Urbaszewski, General News, for: "Shootings Garnering Loyola Response"
- Jean-Paul Arguello, Investigative Reporting for: "Former Student Charged with Theft"
- Eduardo Gonzales, Investigative Reporting for: "SGA President Asks Two Justices to Resign"
- Craig Malveaux, Sports Story for: "Delahoussaye Becomes Starter for ‘Pack’ Midseason"
- Ramon Antonio Vargas, Sports Column for: "Finest Hours"
- Kevin Zansler, Breaking News Photo for: "President-elect Sarah Cooper"
- Kevin Zansler, General News Photo for: "Loyola Protest March"
Loyola’s student journalists are recognized among New Orleans’ professional journalism community and are competing against full-time journalists from publications including The Times-Picayune, Gambit and City Business.
“It is always gratifying when we compete against other college journalists, but to compete at this level is a true testament to the level of work our student journalists produce,” said Michael Giusti, student media advisor. “These nominations are amazing recognition of the hard work and professionalism that our students do in service of the university, and I couldn't be more proud.”
Loyola’s Office of Marketing and Communications was also recognized by the Press Club of New Orleans for its exceptional work. Publications Manager Mary Degnan and Communications Manager Sean Snyder were nominated for the Montage Series Calendar within the Public Relations Brochure category. Communications Coordinator James Shields also received a nomination for Loyola at a Glance within the Public Relations Electronic Newsletter category.
The awards will be announced on Saturday, July 17, at the Press Club of New Orleans awards banquet at Harrah’s Hotel.
Loyola at a Glance is written and distributed for the faculty, staff, students and friends of Loyola University New Orleans. It is published by the Office of Public Affairs, Greenville Hall, Box 909, 7214 St. Charles Avenue, New Orleans, LA 70118. (504) 861-5888.
Information to be included in Loyola at a Glance must be received 2-3 weeks in advance of the publication date. Send us your news here.