Loyola at a Glance
Countdown to commencement 2010 begins
April 23, 2010
Just over two weeks remain before the Class of 2010 takes the stage(s). Loyola will honor its graduating class in a unified ceremony on Saturday, May 8, at 10 a.m. in the Louisiana Superdome, and in a separate law ceremony on Wednesday, May 12, at 6 p.m. in the Morial Convention Center Auditorium.
The unified commencement speaker is Drew Brees, New Orleans Saints quarterback and MVP of Super Bowl XLIV. Brees will receive an honorary degree alongside R. King Milling, longtime New Orleans environmental and civic leader; and Clyde Kerr Jr., trumpeter and music mentor to countless young New Orleans musicians.
Judge Glenda Hatchett, champion of youth mentoring and star of the nationally-syndicated daytime television program, “Judge Hatchett,” will address Loyola University College of Law graduates.
Tickets are not required for either the unified or law ceremony. Graduates may invite as many guests as they like. Seating is first-come, first-served, but with 13,000 seats in the Superdome and 4,000 seats in the convention center, seating will be plentiful.
Students, faculty and staff are urged to review the following logistical information regarding both ceremonies:
Graduates should arrive no later than 8 a.m. and report to Gate A, located on the Ground Level, on the Poydras Street side of the Superdome. Do not bring purses, cameras and other personal items to the graduate entrance. Give them to parents or a friend to hold.
Parking for those attending the unified ceremony will be available in the Superdome Garage #1 (Northeast) and Garage #6 (Northwest). Entrances for both garages are on Poydras Street. The cost for parking is $10 per vehicle payable in CASH ONLY upon entering the garage.
Guests may enter the designated parking garages beginning at 7 a.m. The doors to the Superdome will open at 8 a.m. The academic procession will begin promptly at 9:45 a.m. All guests, including graduates, will go through a Superdome bag check upon entering the facility, so please plan your arrival time accordingly.
Faculty and staff should arrive no later than 9 a.m. to have enough time to go through the bag check and robe.
Special needs guests should identify themselves to volunteers or Superdome personnel, who can assist them in locating seats. Handicapped and wheelchair-accessible seating is available on all levels. For those who require a wheelchair, it will be necessary for them to bring one with them. Wheelchair drop-off and entry is at Gate A, Ground Level, on the Poydras Street side of the Superdome.
The event is scheduled to be completed within two hours. A live webcast of the Unified Commencement Ceremony will take place beginning at 9:45 a.m. central time. The webcast can be viewed via the Loyola website at www.loyno.edu. Additionally, a video recording of the entire ceremony will be available for viewing and downloading approximately one week after the event at www.loyno.edu/commencement.
Prohibited items include alcohol, helium balloons; banners in poor taste or that contain profanity; sticks or poles; cans, bottles, coolers or containers of any kind; laser pens or laser products of any kind; fireworks; food or beverages; oversized or wrapped packages; weapons of any kind; animals (except those assisting ADA patrons); glitter; stickers.
Allowed items include diaper bags (subject to search); medications; personal cameras; flowers.
Graduates must arrive already robed no later than 4-4:30 p.m. Enter the auditorium through Hall I. Do not bring purses, cameras and other personal items to the graduate entrance. Give them to your parents or friends to hold. The procession will leave the staging area promptly at 5:45 p.m. Guests arriving late will not be seated until everyone has processed, so encourage all guests to arrive no later than 5:45 p.m.
Faculty and staff should arrive no later than 5 p.m.
Parking lots designated for the event will open at 3:00 p.m. Everyone is encouraged to park in the cash lot across the street from Hall I. For those of you who may want to park at the Hilton or Riverwalk parking lot, please keep in mind that Hall I is almost a one-mile walk from the Hilton, hence you are encouraged to park nearer to Hall I.
Doors to the auditorium open to guests at 4:00 p.m. All guests, including graduates, will go through a Superdome security bag check upon entering the facility, so please plan your arrival time accordingly.
Special needs guests may use a handicapped drop off area located in the covered driveway in front of Hall I. Handicapped parking is available in the surface lots across the street from Hall I. The auditorium is wheelchair accessible. Handicapped and wheelchair accessible seating is available on the mid-house (MH) level of the auditorium. If guests require handicapped seating, Convention Center personnel can provide directions to the closest elevator and seating. The Convention Center does not provide wheelchairs for transportation to and from handicapped seating. For those who require a wheelchair, it will be necessary to bring one with you.
The event is scheduled to be completed within 90 minutes. A video recording of the entire ceremony will be available for viewing and downloading approximately one week after the event at www.loyno.edu/commencement.
Prohibited items include alcohol, helium balloons, cans, bottles, coolers or containers of any kind, confetti and fireworks.
Commencement/Reunion 2010 Events and Activities
- 8 p.m., Maroon & Gold Graduation Gala, Marquette Horseshoe.
- 9 a.m., College of Business Awards Ceremony, Nunemaker Auditorium, Monroe Hall
- 10 a.m., College of Social Sciences Honors Convocation, St. Charles Room, Danna Student Center
- 11 a.m., College of Humanities and Natural Sciences Honors Convocation, Roussel Performance Hall
- 11:30 a.m., Senior Family Crawfish Boil sponsored by the Alumni Association, Peace Quad
- 4 p.m., Baccalaureate Mass, Holy Name of Jesus Church
- 5:15 p.m., College of Business Graduation Reception, Miller Hall, 3rd Floor Lobby and Atrium
- 5:15 p.m., College of Music and Fine Arts Graduation Reception, Communications/Music Complex, Dixon Court
- 10 a.m., Unified Commencement Ceremony, Louisiana Superdome
- 10 a.m.-12 p.m. New Orleans Bus Tours leaving from in front of Marquette Horseshoe
- 12:30 p.m., Golden Wolves Reunion Luncheon, Dome Café, Louisiana Superdome
- 12:30 p.m., President’s Luncheon for Honorary Degree Recipients, Café Adelaide, Loews New Orleans Hotel
- 4:30 p.m., LIM/LIMEX Mass and Reception, Ignatius Chapel, Reception to follow in Danna Center
- 6:30 p.m., Reunion Classes Dinners, Marriott Convention Center Hotel
- 8 p.m., Maroon and Gold ALUMNI Gala, Marriott Convention Center
- 9 a.m., Alumni Mass in St. Ignatius Chapel, Bobet Hall
- 10:30 a.m., Alumni Association Jazz Brunch, St. Charles Room, Danna Center
- 5 p.m., College of Law Graduation Mass, Holy Name of Jesus Church
- 6:15 p.m., College of Law Senior Class Photo, Monroe Library front steps
- 6:30 p.m., College of Law Dean’s Farewell Reception, Danna Center, St. Charles Room
- 6 p.m., College of Law Commencement Ceremony, Morial Convention Auditorium
Loyola at a Glance is written and distributed for the faculty, staff, students and friends of Loyola University New Orleans. It is published by the Office of Public Affairs, Greenville Hall, Box 909, 7214 St. Charles Avenue, New Orleans, LA 70118. (504) 861-5888.
Information to be included in Loyola at a Glance must be received 2-3 weeks in advance of the publication date. Send us your news here.