Loyola at a Glance
JSRI director on the road for much of the fall
November 20, 2009
During the last two months, the Rev. Fred Kammer, S.J., director of the Jesuit Social Research Institute, has travelled across the country to talk about faith, spirituality and justice, among other topics.
Kammer gave the following lectures:
- “Pope Benedict XVI and the Church in the Public Square,” to the City Club of Cleveland, Ohio, Sept. 15.
- “Spirituality: Seeing the Divine in Our Midst,” to the Catholic Community Connection in Cleveland, Ohio, Sept. 16.
- “Charity and the Call of the Gospel,” “The Eucharist and Justice” and “Preaching Social Ministry and Social Justice,” to the Indianapolis Archdiocesan Conference on Spreading Hope in Neighborhoods Everywhere, Oct. 1.
- Two talks: one on health care reform and the other on spirituality for social ministry, for a conference sponsored by the Justice and Peace Office and Catholic Charities of the Diocese of Raleigh, Oct. 2-3.
- “At the Heart of the Matter: Justice and the Internal and External Challenges in Catholic Healthcare,” to the Collaborative Sponsor Formation Program in Oak Brook, Ill., Oct. 10.
In addition to his busy lecturing schedule, in September, Kammer’s new book, “Faith. Works. Wonders.—An Insider’s Guide to Catholic Charities,” was published by Wipf and Stock Publishers of Eugene, Oregon.
Housed in the College of Social Sciences, JSRI is a collaborative project of Loyola University and the Jesuit New Orleans Province. JSRI offers research, social analysis, theological reflection and practical strategies for improving the social and economic conditions of the southern United States and in select parts of the Caribbean and Latin America, with particular focus on issues of poverty, race and migration in the light of Catholic social teaching.
For more information on the JSRI, contact Kammer at 504-864-7747 or at firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information on the College of Social Sciences, contact Catherine Koppel in the Office of Public Affairs at 504-861-5448 or email@example.com.
Loyola at a Glance is written and distributed for the faculty, staff, students and friends of Loyola University New Orleans. It is published by the Office of Public Affairs, Greenville Hall, Box 909, 7214 St. Charles Avenue, New Orleans, LA 70118. (504) 861-5888.
Information to be included in Loyola at a Glance must be received 2-3 weeks in advance of the publication date. Send us your news here.