Loyola at a Glance
Institute for Ministry co-sponsors Downtown Spirituality Series starting Tuesday
October 2, 2009
The Loyola University New Orleans Institute for Ministry, along with the Jesuit Church of the Immaculate Conception and the Catholic Book Store, will kick off First Tuesdays, part of the Downtown Spirituality Series, on Tuesday, Oct. 6.
The series offers a variety of interfaith programs promoting dialogue and understanding on topics of spirituality led by representatives of New Orleans’ Jewish, Christian and Muslim communities. Presenters will lead conversations about their spiritual traditions, addressing this year’s theme, “Spirituality in the City.” In February the series welcomes acclaimed author of “Dead Man Walking,” Sister Helen Prejean.
All programs will take place from 12:30 – 1:30 p.m., in the Jesuit Church’s Lenes Hall, at 130 Baronne St., in downtown New Orleans. All events are free and open to the public, and lunch will be provided. Graduate and continuing education credit are available through LIM.
- Oct. 6 – The Rev. Henry Hudson, rector, Trinity Episcopal Church, presents “Where Are You?”
- Nov. 3 – The Rev. Susan Gaumer, rector, St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church, book discussion of “The Luminous Web: Essays on Science and Religion.”
- Dec. 1 – Rabbi Alexis Berk, Touro Synagogue, presents “Don’t Worry, That God You Don’t Believe In Doesn’t Exist.”
- Jan. 5 – Rabbi Robert Loewy, Gates of Prayer Synagogue, book discussion of “When Bad Things Happen to Good People.”
- Feb. 2 – presentation by Sister Helen Prejean, C.S.J., author of “Dead Man Walking” and other notable books.
- March 2 – The Rev. Jerry Fagin, S.J., associate professor of LIM, book discussion about Ignatian spirituality.
- April 6 – presentation by Imam Omar Suleiman of Masjid Abu Bakr As-Siddique Mosque.
- May 4 – Jenny Yanez, Jefferson Muslim Association, book discussion on Muslim spirituality.
All books are available at The Catholic Book Store, 3003 S. Carrollton Ave.
More information is available at lim.loyno.edu/downtown.
For more information on the programs, contact Dr. Tom Ryan, director of LIM, at 504-865-2069 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Loyola at a Glance is written and distributed for the faculty, staff, students and friends of Loyola University New Orleans. It is published by the Office of Public Affairs, Greenville Hall, Box 909, 7214 St. Charles Avenue, New Orleans, LA 70118. (504) 861-5888.
Information to be included in Loyola at a Glance must be received 2-3 weeks in advance of the publication date. Send us your news here.