Loyola at a Glance
Loyola School of Nursing hosts leadership conference Nov. 5-6
September 25, 2009
The Loyola University New Orleans School of Nursing Health Care Systems Management Graduate Program will host a leadership conference Nov. 5–6 at the Maison Dupuy Hotel in the French Quarter, to help nurse executives learn best practices for fostering quality work environments.
The two-day session will feature lectures by prominent American health care professionals and academics, workshops on improving leadership skills and a panel discussion with local nurse executives. Participants can earn up to 10.75 contact hours for their attendance.
The conference is partially funded by a grant from the Health Resources and Services Administration, which allows it to be offered at $99 per day for participants who register before Oct. 5, and $125 per day for those who register after. There is a $150 special for both days for healthcare systems management students and alumni and members of the New Orleans Area Organization of Nursing Executives. Registrants will also receive discounted rates at the Maison Dupuy Hotel for Nov. 5-6.
Conference activities will include:
Thursday, Nov. 5
- 12–5:30 p.m. – “Emergenetics: Leading with the Brain in Mind,” workshop using results from science-based professional personality evaluations to help participants learn to build stronger teams, make better decisions, raise productivity and communicate more effectively.
- 5:30 p.m.- 7:30 p.m. – Conference kickoff reception with guitar virtuosos Chip Wilson and John Rankin in addition to nurse-humorist Janice Taulli.
Friday, Nov. 6
- 8:30–10 a.m. – “Pursuit of Quality in the Work Environment,” Linda Aiken, R.N., Ph.D., FAAN, director of the Center for Health Outcomes and Policy Research at the University of Pennsylvania, where she also is a professor of nursing and sociology.
- 10:30–11:45 a.m. – “Winning Hearts and Minds: Understanding Social and Emotional Intelligence,” Sarah Holt, Ph.D., director and administrator of the Cape Girardeau Surgical Clinic and Breast Care Center and visiting professor at St. Louis University.
- 1–2:15 p.m. – “Creating the Ideal Work Place,” Caryl Goodyear-Bruch, R.N., Ph.D., CCR.N., president of the board of directors of the American Association of Critical Care Nurses and an associate professor at the Kansas University Medical Center.
- 2:45–4 p.m. – “Healthy Work Environments: What’s the Big Deal?” Sharon Krumm, R.N., Ph.D., administrator and director of nursing at The Sidney Kimmel Cancer Center at Johns Hopkins Hospital and assistant professor at Johns Hopkins School of Medicine and Nursing.
- 4–4:30 p.m. – Panel discussion with New Orleans-area nursing executives.
Loyola at a Glance is written and distributed for the faculty, staff, students and friends of Loyola University New Orleans. It is published by the Office of Public Affairs, Greenville Hall, Box 909, 7214 St. Charles Avenue, New Orleans, LA 70118. (504) 861-5888.
Information to be included in Loyola at a Glance must be received 2-3 weeks in advance of the publication date. Send us your news here.