Loyola at a Glance
Loyola celebrates Love Your Body Week
September 18, 2009
The Loyola University New Orleans community will focus on health and well-being for Love Your Body Week, a series of events next week that celebrate positive body image.
Gigi Durham, Ph.D., author of “The Lolita Effect: The Media Sexualization of Young Girls and What We Can Do About It,” will present a free public lecture on Monday, Sept. 21, 5:30 p.m., in Monroe Library Multimedia Room 2.
The Women’s Resource Center, Athletics and Wellness, Office of Residential Life, University Counseling Center, University Ministry and Dining Services will host numerous free, on-campus activities Sept. 21-25 for students, faculty and staff.
“The Love Your Body campaign was initiated by the National Organization for Women Foundation in 1997 with the intent to help raise awareness about women’s health, self-esteem and body image,” said Karen Reichard, director of the Women’s Resource Center. “The events of Love Your Body Week at Loyola range from discussions with experts about societal forces and everyday pressures that can affect one’s self-esteem and health, to exploration of the mind/body connection and ways to heal the body by feeding the spirit.”
- Yogalet classes - Monday, Sept. 21, and Wednesday, Sept. 23, 7 a.m., Residential Quad
- Healthy cooking and eating demonstrations - Monday, Sept. 21, noon, and Wednesday, Sept. 23, 5 p.m., Orleans Room
- “The Lolita Effect: The Media Sexualization of Young Girls and What We Can Do About It,” lecture by Gigi Durham, Ph.D., - Monday, Sept. 21, 5:30 p.m., Monroe Library, Multimedia Room 2
- Body image and eating disorders discussion, with nutritionist and Clinical Director at River Oaks Eating Disorders Clinic Renee Bruno, M.D., nutritionist Linda Ponder, M.S., L.D.N., R.D., and psychologist Emily Russell, Ph.D. - Tuesday, Sept. 22, 6:30 p.m., Claiborne Room
- “Girls’s Night In,” discussion with Veronica Gillispie, M.D., an ob-gyn at Ochsner Baptist Medical Center - Wednesday, Sept. 23, 6:30 p.m., Claiborne Room
- “The Physical Benefits of Meditation: Loving Your Body by Feeding Your Soul,” discussion with associate chaplain Laura Quigley - Wednesday, Sept. 23, noon, Women’s Resource Center in Mercy Hall
- Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender Body Image Discussion Group, moderated by associate chaplain Julie Thibodaux and Emily Russell, Ph.D. - Thursday, Sept. 24, 12:30 p.m., Women’s Resource Center
Throughout the week, the Women’s Resource Center will serve as a relaxation zone, featuring the artwork of Loyola graphic design professor Nancy Bernardo.
For more information on events, visit the Women’s Resource Center Web site or contact Karen Reichard at 504-864-7880.
Loyola at a Glance is written and distributed for the faculty, staff, students and friends of Loyola University New Orleans. It is published by the Office of Public Affairs, Greenville Hall, Box 909, 7214 St. Charles Avenue, New Orleans, LA 70118. (504) 861-5888.
Information to be included in Loyola at a Glance must be received 2-3 weeks in advance of the publication date. Send us your news here.