Loyola at a Glance
Mass Comm students win big at La. Press Association competition
May 1, 2009
Loyola’s student newspaper, The Maroon, won eight awards at last Saturday’s Louisiana Press Association 2008 Newspaper Competition, including two first-place honors for news and sports writing.
Also, School of Mass Communication senior and Times-Picayune writer Ramon Antonio Vargas won an individual feature writing award for his story in the Times-Picayune about teen boxer Roy Middleton. Vargas was the 2008 editor of The Maroon.
Seventy-nine publications submitted 3,812 entries in this year’s competition. Maroon winners included:
- Jessica Williams, mass communication junior, 1st place, Best News Story for “WFF pay just isn’t enough”
- Eduardo Gonzalez, mass communication junior, 1st place, Best Sports Story for “Wildes hits the ring”
- Tom Macom, mass communication senior, 3rd place, Best Sports Photo
- Kevin Zansler, mass communication sophomore, 3rd place, Best General News Photo
- The Maroon, 3rd place, General Excellence
- Tom Macom, honorable mention, Best Sports Photo
- Briana Prevost, mass communication senior, honorable mention, Best Sports Story for “Down but not out”
- Rachel Strassel, mass communication senior, honorable mention, Best General News Photo
“I am proud that the work done by our crew of dedicated journalists is being recognized, but I can’t say I am surprised. I am constantly in awe of their dedication, skill and passion,” says Michael Giusti, faculty adviser for The Maroon.
Louisiana Press Association’s mission is to unite Louisiana newspapers as a cooperative association which creates and fosters an economic, political and legal environment where newspapers can compete and flourish as providers of information and information services. The LPA is the official trade organization for Louisiana newspapers and provides representation in the legislature and educational services.
For more information on The Maroon, contact Giusti at 504-865-3295 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org .
Loyola at a Glance is written and distributed for the faculty, staff, students and friends of Loyola University New Orleans. It is published by the Office of Public Affairs, Greenville Hall, Box 909, 7214 St. Charles Avenue, New Orleans, LA 70118. (504) 861-5888.
Information to be included in Loyola at a Glance must be received 2-3 weeks in advance of the publication date. Send us your news here.