Loyola at a Glance
Danna Student Center renovation update
June 13, 2008
Loyola’s Danna Student Center will receive more than $3 million in renovations over the summer. The university has allocated $2 million for renovation costs, and Sodexo, the university’s food service provider, has donated $1 million for improvements in dining facilities and services. Construction has already begun on the project which is slated to be completed in September.
Award-winning designer Henry Muñoz, CEO of Kell Muñoz Architects, is the creative catalyst for the Danna Center renovations. His firm is the largest minority-owned architectural group in Texas and has received much acclaim for its focus on cultural activism in its work, which includes the Museo Alameda del Smithsonian in San Antonio and Texas A&M International University in Laredo.
Muñoz, an alumnus of Loyola and a former board of trustee member, is donating his and his team’s time for the project. The team of designers and architects are incorporating spatial design, color and decor reflective of the Danna Center’s 1960’s modern context in the redesign project.
Loyola students were majorly involved in the redesign process. Several student focus groups were conducted prior to the project in order to gain insight into what students envisioned for the center. Additionally, former SGA president and vice president, Elliot Sanchez and Adam Kohler, along with the Loyola/Munoz/Frost-Barber, Inc. design team, visited the Steelcase showroom last spring to review all furniture selections, insuring that every piece of furniture was selected for style, comfort and low environmental impact. Steelcase products are labeled “green” and are certified Cradle to Cradle as environmentally friendly, meaning only materials that tested safe to human and environmental health were selected.
Danna Center renovation updates:
- The old Underground dining area re-opened as Satchmo’s in May.
- Exterior work, including the new courtyard, will be completed by next week.
- Demolition will begin on the retail area and the Orleans Dining Room next week.
- CC’s Coffee will open in the Orleans Lounge June 23.
- The Orleans Dining Room and the food mart reopens on August 18 and will include Chan’s Sushi and a fresh market. The Bookstore will open a new high-end spirit shop with athletic wear (Wolfpack, Saints, and Hornets); fun, trendy and seasonal Loyola wear; and New Orleans gifts and fair trade items.
- Flambeaux ’s will open featuring a grille, Cajun and Creole classics, chef's specials, soups, salads and pizza on August 25 along with a refurbished Smoothie King.
As construction progresses, we will continue to bring you news and updates about the renovation process. For more information on the Danna Center renovations, visit http://www.loyno.edu/dannacenter/renovations
Loyola at a Glance is written and distributed for the faculty, staff, students and friends of Loyola University New Orleans. It is published by the Office of Public Affairs, Greenville Hall, Box 909, 7214 St. Charles Avenue, New Orleans, LA 70118. (504) 861-5888.
Information to be included in Loyola at a Glance must be received 2-3 weeks in advance of the publication date. Send us your news here.