College of Music + Fine Arts
The College of Music and Fine Arts serves as the preeminent center of fine and performing arts study among all Jesuit colleges and universities throughout the United States offering professional and liberal arts programs within a rigorous academic environment. Students are prepared for fine and performing arts professions in a manner that reflects the Jesuit ideals of truth, service, and justice. The College of Music and Fine Arts provides the campus, region, and nation with music, theatre, dance, and visual arts activities demonstrating the University's commitment and service to the fine and performing arts.
Department of Music Goals
- The College of Music seeks to be one of the leading comprehensive music schools affiliated with a private comprehensive university in the nation.
- The College of Music seeks to have a faculty of musician/scholars and educators who are national leaders in their field of expertise.
- The College of Music seeks to offer a professional/liberal arts curriculum in music that is recognized for its overall excellence and innovation.
- The College of Music seeks to be recognized nationally for the musical and academic quality of its students and alumni.
- The College of Music seeks to be the major cultural resource for musical study and performance in the Greater New Orleans region
Department of Theatre Arts and Dance Goals
- Theatre Arts and Dance students should demonstrate sufficient knowledge of the whole of the theatre experience by having participated in each segment of theatre. Those segments are: performance, dramaturgy, costume, scenic, lighting, sound, publicity, box office, and audience.
- Theatre Arts and Dance students should have the opportunity to expand skills in a primary area of interest at an advanced level.
- Theatre Arts and Dance students should have the freedom to experiment artistically, intellectually, and technically and be encouraged to do so in all spheres of theatre.
- Theatre Arts and Dance students should demonstrate a sense of artistic and personal discipline, responsibility, and commitment to the theatre.
- Theatre Arts and Dance students should gain a sense of confidence in self and respect for others and the art of theatre
- Theatre Arts and Dance students should understand the sense of wholeness of theatre collaboration and community.
- Theatre Arts and Dance students should understand the social phenomena of theatre and how it imparts knowledge, values, and insight through feeling.
- Theatre Arts and Dance students should be able to look at theatre, its performance, history, and literature and critically situate it in a context of events and ideas in Western/world history and in the contemporary world.
- Theatre Arts and Dance students should possess a desire to discover and an excitement to learn.
Department of Visual Arts Mission
The goal of the Department of Visual Arts is to inspire and facilitate traditional and contemporary interpretations of visual literacy and application in an intimate context. Teaching reinforces our individual commitment to creating art and provides our students with the opportunity to shape the future of the art community, emphasizing our profound belief that art is a societal necessity.