"Outside" Scholarship Programs
Depending on the type and amount of the award, "need-based" aid MAY need to be adjusted if a student receives additional outside scholarships. We will first reduce the student's "self-help" part of the aid award (Federal subsidized Stafford Loan , Federal Perkins Loan and Federal Work-Study eligibility ) before adjusting need-based grant funds.
In This Section:
There are a number of free scholarship seach programs on the Internet that are available to families. We suggest that families begin this process by reviewing this important information provided by the Department of Education.
- FastWeb's Free Scholarship Search and College Search
- CollegeNET's Mach 25 Scholarship Search Program
- Louisiana Private Aid Programs
- National Alliance for Hispanic Health Student and Parent Resource Guide
- Hispanic Scholarship Program
- Asian and Pacific Islander American Scholarship Fund
- Black College Dollars
- United Negro College Fund
- Scholarship Information sent to our office
- Opportunities for Undergraduate Students
- Opportunities for Graduate and Professional Programs
- Opportunities for "Non-Traditional" Students
- Opportunities for Nursing Students
- Opportunities for Veterans and their Dependents
- 50 Tips and Tools to Find Scholarships on Twitter
On November 5, 2000, Congress passed the College Scholarship Fraud Prevention Act of 2000 ("CSFPA")). The CSFPA enhances protection against fraud in student financial assistance programs by establishing stricter sentencing guidelines for crminal financial aid fraud.
Please review the following information so that you have the tools to protect yourself against this crime.
- Fact Sheet on Financial Aid Consultants and Scholarship Search Services
- Don't Get Scammed on Your Way to College
- Additional Information on Scams from finaid.org
Updated March 4, 2013