Military Sponsored Programs
Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) Programs
Air Force ROTC
The Air Force ROTC Program offers two and four year programs through which students, upon graduation, can earn a commission as a second lieutenant in the United States Air Force.
- Fact Sheet
- In-College Scholarship Program
- Express Scholarship Program
- Information for Nursing Students
- Pilot and Combat System Operator Opportunities
Loyola students who participate in Army ROTC take their courses on the Tulane University campus. Up to 15 hours of Army ROTC course work may be used toward the total number of hours required for graduation at Loyola. For more information, contact the Recruiting Operations Officer for the Orleans Battalion at (504)865-5594 or 1-800-777-ARMY (2769).
Loyola University offers the Naval Reserve Officer Training Corps (NROTC) through a cross-enrollment agreement with the NROTC Unit at Tulane University. The NROTC scholarship provides all of the following in exchange for 4 years of service as a Navy officer:
- Full Tuition
- Full Cost of Text Books
- $200 - $400 per month
Effect of ROTC Awards on Institutional Merit Scholarships:
Loyola's institutional merit scholarships are normally awarded for tuition only. Students who also receive ROTC scholarships will be allowed to keep their Loyola merit aid as long as the TOTAL amount aid from both sources does not exceed tuition and fees and on-campus room and board charges.
National Guard Programs
Military Tuition Assistance Program:
Armed Forces Tuition Assistance (TA) is a benefit paid to eligible members of the Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, and Coast Guard. Congress has given each service the ability to pay up to 100% for the tuition expenses of its members.
Each service has its own criteria for eligibility, obligated service, application process' and restrictions. This money is usually paid directly to the institution by the individual services. Linda Richard in the Student Finance Office has historically coordinated the billing and payment process.
Follow the links for each particular service:
- Air Force Tuition Assistance
- Army Tuition Assistance
- Navy Tuition Assistance
- Marines Tuition Assistance
- Coast Guard Tuition Assistance
- National Guard Tuition Assitance
- Reserve Tuition Assistance
The general rule has been that the Tuition Assistance Programs generally pay up to $250 per credit hour. Loyola has historically enrolled a handful of students under this program.
Proposed Changes for 2012
The Pentagon proposed changes to the operational "Memorandum of Understanding" (or "MOU") for the Program that would be effective starting January 2012. Under the MOU, schools must charge military and civilian students the same tuition . They have to give students a clear education plan. And, they have to try to give students academic credit for some of their military training. This final requirement is a problem for most universities, including Loyola, who feel like they should have the ability to reiview the content of the training before accepting it for academic credit.
Military Tuition Assistance Grant Program In Effect for Spring 2012
Loyola University New Orleans will not be signing the current "MOU". In order not to penalize students interested in attending Loyola University, we will offer an institutional Military Tuition Assistance Grant that will cover the amount that would have been available through the Department of Defense if we had agreed to the terms of the MOU.
- The Student will submit all appropriate documentation to Kathy Gros in the Student Records Office. Kathy is the liason with the Department of Veterans Affairs.
Other Programs Offered By the Navy
- Navy Health Care Opportunities
- Navy Health Services Collegiate Program
- Navy Baccalaureate Degree Program
- Participants will have a minimum 4 year commitment after college as a Navy Officer. For more information, go to www.navy.com . Minimum Eligibility Requirements: (1.) Be Enrolled in a 4 year college or university :(2.) Have Completed 30 semester hours. The Navy will pay for 2 or 3 years of college depending on the college major; (3.)Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.7
"Outside Scholarships for Current Members of the Military
- The Captain Jodi Callahan Memorial Scholarship provides a $1,000 scholarship to an active duty Air Force, full time Air National Guard or full time Air Force Reserve (officer or enlisted) pursuing a Master’s Degree in a non-technical field of study.
College Loan Repayment Program
The Armed Forces can help you manage your college debt with special loan repayment programs for qualified students.
Many people are not aware that the Army, Navy and Air Force recruiters can offer you special programs for repaying student debt. Learn more at http://www.military.com/Resources/ResourcesContent/0%2C13964%2C44245--%2C00.html
Loyola University Policy for Students Called to Active Duty in the Military
Loyola University New Orleans wishes to provide as much assistance as possible to students who are called to active duty in the United States armed services .
Updated September 29, 2012