CBFWS Jobs - Lafayette Academy Reading Room
- Meet with assigned students in the Reading Room weekly to work on fluency and comprehension.
- Read the books aloud with assigned students, taking turns with the students, questioning them on what they are reading.
- Assisting assigned students in completing two book reports a month.
- Select appropriate books based on students' reading levels.
- Once a month tutors play board games with students.
PURPOSE OF JOB WITHIN ORGANIZATION
The Reading Room was created in 2007 to provide every second- and third- grade student at Lafayette Academy with one hour a week of one-on-one practice in reading fluency and comprehension skills. Reading tutors are crucial in helping young children succeed acadmically.
The work study student will need to undergo a criminal background check.
- Good organizational skills
- Good communication skills
- Interest in elementary education, particularly reading.
- Prior experience working with young children.
The student will report directly to the director of the Reading Room, who will assign several tutees to the student. The student will be shown how to access each child's reading folder and track progress.
TRAINING AND ORIENTATION PROVIDED
Training and orientation will be provided at Lafayette Academy by the Reading Room director.
Updated August 19, 2013