CBFWS Jobs - Green Light New Orleans
Assistant Garden Program Coordinator
The Assistant Garden Program Coordinator will work with the Garden Program Coordinator to develop and implement Green Light's free backyard vegetable program. By growing their own food, a family can reduce its carbon footprint by eliminating emissions associated with processing and distributing food. The backyard vegetable garden program provides essential access to fresh, local produce, contributing to a healthier diet and a sustainable community. Duties will include:
- Developing garden program procedures and materials
- Building grant-funded backyard gardens for New Orleans residents
- Training volunteers to install gardens
- Developing and implementing a back-end research survey
- Collecting data about garden yields for impact tracking and grant writing
PURPOSE OF THIS JOB WITHIN THE ORGANIZATION
The purpose of this position is to create low-cost healthy food opportunities for New Orleans residents and lower community carbon emissions.
PRE-EMPLOYMENT TRAINING AND ORIENTATION
Students will sign a contract with Green Light detailing the expectations for the position.
- Interest in environmental issues
- Some gardening knowledge
- Experience with or interest in working with volunteers
- Excellent communication skills
- Must have a car
Students will report directly to the Garden Program Coordinator. Some duties will be performed side-by-side with the Garden Program Coordinator, and some of the work will be completed independently by students with regular check-ins. Green Light staff members will be around the office at all times to help students as needed and answer any questions students may have about their work.
TRAINING & ORIENTATION PROVIDED
Students will receive orientation and basic training in day to day activities on their first day of work. More in-depth, specific, and specialized training will occur as needed.
Updated August 15, 2013