CBFWS Jobs - Broadmoor Education Corridor
Tutor, Garden Helper and/or ESL Assistant
- Assist students in building their academic skills by working one-on-one or in small groups.
- Build relationships with students that model respect, understanding, and perseverance.
- Assist in the Wilson School Library by helping children find books, reading with students, or complete research projects.
- Assist with enrichment activities such as art, gardening or school-wide events.
- Additionally, students may provide English-as-a-Second Language support for students if possible.
PURPOSE OF THIS JOB WITHIN THE ORGANIZATION
Work-study students' primary responsibility will be to provide academic support for students and teachers in classrooms. Students will support students individually and in small groups by reinforcing material that is taught in the classroom. Three specific needs include reading support, school garden assistance and English-as-a-Second-Language support. Additionally, work study students can form bonds with students and provide positive role models.
Students who are accepted for placement at Wilson Charter School will attend an orientation prior to beginning work and, as a requirement of working with children, will undergo fingerprinting and a criminal background check.
- Experience working with youth
- Reliable transportation
- Clear communication skills
- Previous experience serving in a leadership role with youth (school or recreational setting)
- Coursework and interest in education, child psychology, urban studies, etc. would be beneficial
The supervisor will provide an orientation, general instructions and will match students with a specific work placement. The supervisor will conduct periodic check-ins and will be available to respond to any questions/concerns that may come up.
Updated August 19, 2013