Renewal Requirements for TOPS Scholarships
The following information has been given to us by the Louisiana Office of Student Financial Assistance ("LOSFA") and applies to awards for the 2013-2014 year.
About your TOPS award
- All TOPS recipients must be continuously enrolled as a full-time student during the academic year and must earn 24 hours of credit OR the number of hours needed to complete their undergraduate degree. Failure to do so will result in the cancellation of your TOPS award. The academic year is defined as the fall and spring semesters.
- Exceptions to the 24 hours of earned credit per academic year may be granted by the Louisiana Office of Student Financial Assistance (LOSFA) for certain circumstances beyond the student's control. Students seeking waiver of this requirement must complete an Exception to Continuous Enrollment Request Form and provide all necessary documentation. If approved, and all other continuation requirements are met, the award will be reinstated. Requests for exception to continuous enrollment must be received no later than six months after the date of the notice of cancellation.
- Earning 24 credit hours each academic year is the responsibility of the student. (The summer term is not part of the academic year and credits earned will not be counted towards the academic year requirement of 24 credit hours). Advanced Placement and intersession hours will not count.
- TOPS scholarships cover a maximum of 8 semesters of full-time study.
- At the end of the academic year, the following cumulative grade point average (GPA) must be maintained:
- Opportunity Award: 2.30 the first academic year, 2.50 all subsequent academic years
- Performance Award: 3.00
- Honors Award: 3.00
- Performance or Honors Award recipients who fail to maintain a 3.00 cumulative GPA at the end of the academic year will revert to the Opportunity Award, provided they have maintained the GPA necessary for renewal of that award. Once the recipient reverts to the Opportunity Award, the Performance or Honors Award cannot be reinstated.
Students who fail to maintain steady academic progress at the end of any semester or quarter shall be suspended. Steady academic progress is defined as a 2.00 cumulative GPA. Students whose awards are suspended for failure to maintain the required GPA or steady academic progress may be reinstated upon attainment of the required GPA, provided that the period of ineligibility did not persist for more than two years and the student had maintained continuous, full-time enrollment
- To renew your TOPS awards for the 2013-2014 academic year, you must complete the 2013-2014 Free Application for Federal Student Aid ("FAFSA") or Renewal FAFSA by July 1, 2014, unless you can demonstrate that you do not qualify for Federal Grant Aid.
- The Louisiana Office of Student Financial Assistance does not recognize the value "+" or "-" grades when calculating a student's cumulative grade point average. Your Loyola cumulative GPA may therefore differ from your GPA for the TOPS Program.
- Incomplete Grades: you must inform us in writing when your incomplete grade(s) is changed to a letter grade.
- Grade Changes: should also be reported to the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid as soon as possible AFTER they have been posted with the Student Records Office.
- Students participating in non-Loyola abroad programs are required to complete the “Exception to Continuous Enrollment Request Form” and provide all necessary documentation for item #6 “Exceptional Educational Opportunity.” This form is available under the Forms tab on the Louisiana Office of Student Financial Assistance's web site. Debbie Danna. in the Center for International Education is the school official in charge of signing the written statement for item (6) 2.
Updated September 19, 2013