Luis de Lión Translation Contest

Proyecto Luis de Lión Short Story Translation Contest

General

Proyecto Luis de Lión (in San Juan del Obispo, Guatemala) in conjunction with the Center for Latin American and Caribbean Studies at Loyola University New Orleans and the New Orleans Review is launching an open competition to translate a short story by Luis de Lión (Spanish to English). Anyone is eligible to participate. The short story, “Su segunda muerte” was published in Spanish by Editoriales Landívar in the collection by the same name in 1970 and republished by Ediciones del Pensativo in 2009 in the collection Los Zopilotes y Su segunda muerte, but both are now out of print. For more information on the Luis de Lión and his village in Guatemala, go to: http://proyectoluisdelion.com/ . You may also want to visit the CLACS website at: http://www.loyno.edu/clacs/ and/or the New Orleans Review website at: http://www.neworleansreview.org/

Specifics for Participants

Welcome to the competition. Your completed entry will consist of two parts: 1) your translation of Luis de Lión’s “Su segunda muerte;” and 2) an accompanying short essay (<750 words) about how the translation process played out for you in this case (see below for more details on the essay). The essay will count for 20% of the total score. The remaining 80% will come from the score your actual translation receives. You must register for the contest by 21 via email message (nchenne@loyno.edu)). Your translation and accompanying essay must be turned in no later than 6 April of 2014. They should be emailed as Word attachments to nchenne@loyno.edu. The actual translation and essay should not include your name on them, but the name of the files you attach should include your first initial and last name.

The translations and essays will be judged by two CLACS faculty members and two New Orleans Review editors. The two faculty members speak Spanish and are familiar with the original of the story, so they will take into account the translations’ adherence to the original; but they will also judge the final product and essay on other merits beyond this adherence. The editors of NOR do not speak Spanish and will judge the translations based on the final product and on the value of the accompanying essay to the overall project.

The winner will receive $200 and have her/his translation published in the fall 2014 print edition of the New Orleans Review accompanied by a version of her/his short essay.

The Short Essay (<750 words)

The short essay should address the process of translation and make transparent some of the complications this particular project presented to you as the translator, the subsequent decisions you had to make, the reasons you chose the way you did, etc. This short essay may include comments on historical, geographical, cultural, or linguistic context and how that affected the decisions you made. It may also address any and all other aspects of translation as they played out for you in this project. You may choose the voice and form for this exercise; the idea is that you reflect on the specific challenges particular to this story, this author, this place, and that you make some of those issues transparent for your reader. Some form of this essay will be published as the introduction to the translation.

Feel free to email me with any further questions.